Sunday, June 29, 2008

Configuring linksys router with sify broadband or bsnl connection

I have chosen sify and bsnl because one is dsl and other adsl. So, you can follow similar steps if you have any other broadband connection.

For bsnl connection -

Prerequisites :

  1. You need to have working bsnl connection with an adsl modem i.e. the connection will be something like this, PC <---> ADSL modem <---> BSNL connection.

Steps you need to take to configure the router :

  1. First note your ip and default gateway address.
  2. Next reset your ip and dns info ( in windows you can do this by selecting the option get ip address automatically, instead of manually entering the ip addresses ).
  3. Now disconnect your pc from the adsl modem.
  4. Connect your pc to the router i.e. one of the four lan ports ( not the blue port ) of the router.
  5. now type http://192.168.1.1 in your browser. Goto setup and set the configuration of router to static ip ( you will have three options dhcp, static ip or pppoe ).
  6. There you will have two parts, internet setup and network setup. Internet setup is the config between router and adsl modem, whereas the network setup is the config between router and pc. For your pc, router is the default gateway and for your router, adsl modem is the default gateway.
  7. In the internet setup part, set the ip, subnet mask, default gateway and your dns addresses to the original configuration which you were using in your pc with only the adsl modem.
  8. Now go to the network setup part and set your ip as some other subnet other than the internet ip you just set. In my case the internet ip is 192.168.1.38 and my local ip address is 192.168.2.1 - notice that they are in different subnets, since subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 - you will need to make changes accordingly. By default you will have your local ip address set to 192.168.1.1 but since your adsl modem has that as its address you can't set the same address to this and thus you need to change it to 192.168.2.1. Now your pc, phone or laptops will get the address of the form 192.168.2.xx
  9. Now connect your router's blue port to your adsl modem.
  10. Now enable dhcp in your router ( it usually will be enabled by default ). If you don't enable WEP, it will crib for the first time. So, configure it.
  11. Thats it you have now setup a local lan. I am using my ip phone, my pc and my laptop simultaneously.

Sify Broadband -

Prerequisites :

  1. You will need to have a working connection of sify ( the network cable ) given by them and the connection using the client should be working properly.

Steps to setup the router :

  1. you will take the same steps as before i.e first note your ip, gateway, dns addresses.
  2. next remove all your existing ip config of your pc.
  3. Now connect your router to your pc.
  4. All the steps are same, you select static ip and configure the network and internet parts. If the ip given to you by sify is of the form 10.xx.xx.xx then you don't need to change anything on the local ip address part of the router.
  5. In the static ip configuration page of your router there will be an option called PPPoE passthrough. It will be disabled by default, you need to enable it.
  6. Next connect the sify cable to the blue port of your router and pc to any one of the 4 lan ports.
  7. Now run the sify client from the pc and connect to the internet. You are now up and running.
  8. Wait forgot to tell you the main part, in sify they bind the username and password with your mac address, so you got to call your sify provider and tell him to change the mac address from your pc to that of your router.
  9. If you login to your account using the client from your pc, you will be able to connect to internet without any hassles from other devices connected throught the router i.e. the ip phone, or laptops etc.

If you feel that anything more can be added to this please leave a comment. Hope this helps.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you ! I was looking for this piece of information for quite sometime now. This http://stsweb.indstate.edu/~sts/images/stories/Router/PPTP.jpg image will also help future readers.

Thanks,
best regards,
Vikram

Anonymous said...

It really helped me lot now i am planning to buy one linksys 542G router. I have just bougt one laptop having wireless technology what will be the procedure to connect to net using sify broadband . Can i connect to net with my PC and laptop simultaneously.
Thanks ...lot of Thanks
Rajesh

Anand said...

Yes you will be able to connect to the net using both pc and laptop simultaneously.

Anonymous said...

dude good work
my doubt is i want to use my pc as a web server so i need to use port forwarding i have a sify broad band connection but i dont have a router i have a LAN card wid me
so how do i connect to the router to change the settings of the router please help me out man

Gideon said...

I am connecting a Laptop with VISTA OS. I kept my Latop as Otain automatic configuration for IP adress with Only BSNL ADSL Modem. Now after I purchased the Linksys ROter WRH54G-IN, I am able to connect via wired and wireless only to the ROuter but I cannot acces the Internet.

I have few Doubts from your suggestion. 255.255.255.0 subnet mask has only one Subnet right, how Can I keep the Laptop and ADSL router in different Subnet, can you also list me the Subnets that I can choose for Laptop Router and ADSL modem.

The other thing is When I connect my Laptop to the router It doesnt automatically configire an address for me. what manuall address can I
set for my laptop. but again you are asking me to change the IP address of router I am losing connection with laptop as the gateway address has changed for me. Now when I again try to bring up the Router configuration is doesn't openup with the chaged address even after manually altering the IP address of laptop.

Can you let me know what do here, I am stuck the whole night.

regards
Gideon

Anonymous said...

Hi

I cant opent the http://192.168.1.1/ in the browser

It says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.I hae tried this with the router wired to my laptop and also with the internet connection on.
I have sify bb

Could you please help

Thaks

Anand said...

@Anonymous
Try tracert www.google.com and look at the first ip hop you come across, that is the ip of the router through which all your requests pass through.

your router ip needn't always be 192.168.1.1

Anand said...

@Hai

I am sorry it is my typo error. with just your adsl modem and your comp the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0 i.e. say your adsl modem belongs to the subnet 192.168.1.xxx then you can have any ip in this subnet assigned to your comp. Now with your router sitting in between adsl modem and comp you need to form two such subnets. one 192.168.1.xxx between your adsl modem and router, second 192.168.2.xxx between your router and comp. even now the subnet mask for your comp will be 255.255.255.0 because from the PC perspective nothing has changed.

Parag said...

I have sify in the office. If system (S1)is connected as sify client for login and all, then I cannot access S1 from any of other system, nor can it access any other system in LAN, though internet is accessible through all system. IF I change sify client to another system (S2)then S2 is unaccessible, while S1 becomes accessible.

Anand said...

@Parag
It is difficult to say what the issue could be without more data. Are you able to access the machines in the LAN before you login from the Sify client? If yes, then we have a problem.

You could try checking if the client machine got added to some other LAN/WAN by getting another set of IP address or in general what changed in the machine config.

Unknown said...

omg gosh! i had been down with this issue of my router. and finally i can across your blog and followed exactly the orders, and now? my wifi is all set and thanks to you!!!!! =)
Linksys Router Support

Unknown said...

Good posting, it is fully help me . thanks for share..Linksys Router Technical Support also call Toll Free No 1-800-231-4635 For US/CA.

Unknown said...

This is really interesting and knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing.
linksys router login