Friday, June 06, 2008

Live in the moment.....

I have heard that to see a change (from your normal mundane routine) in your life, something huge has to come your way. Well I have felt this urge to live my life to the fullest after what happened to me today and I would like to share my experience with you all.

Today was like just any other day and my friend Rakshitha calls up and tells me that we both and her friend shall go to college in her new car ( Alto - I think it was her birthday gift, anyway ) and collect the hall tickets. She was really excited to show her new car and I was skeptical at first but then thought what the heck and agreed to go to college with her.

Well... we go to college get the hall tickets, talk to few friends there and leave for back home and while coming back.... wait before you read ahead I need to tell you how we were seated in the car so that you get the whole picture. As you all know it is right side steering in cars sold in India, anyway rakshitha was driving and Rahul Bhuptani ( her project partner ) was seated beside her and I was seated exactly behind her in the back - the right rear door is just to my right and there is no one to my left. Now, where was I... ya, so we left college and as we neared Nayandhalli signal she tried going past a truck by overtaking from the left ( which is not legal by the way according to traffic rules here ) or maybe the truck was going to right, anyway as we went past the truck, the left front wheel of the truck came within inches of the rear right door of the car i.e. next to my window. I am sitting there looking at the mud guard (front left) of the truck and thinking... "should I wear the seat belts.... ?", well then thought that she knew what she was doing and thought otherwise and started enjoying the music. Later as we reached Vijayanagar she was trying to overtake some BCC truck and he kept on blocking her, so she tried to grab the first opportunity she got and she tried to overtake from the left but in the hurry she didn't notice the rear side of the car....

The main idea of this entry is for you to imagine what happened so I will paint you a much better picture. The truck is on the right side of the road and our car on the left side and she is trying to over take the truck from left side and change the track to the right side. She has crossed only half way and without realising started steering to the right. I am sitting there looking at the left front wheel ( actually it was the black mud guard ) coming really close to the door i.e. towards me. I am sitting there looking at the truck's wheel, thinking "should i tell her to move left" and before I could say anything she rams the car to the truck i.e. the door beside me. Man.... I have never seen or experienced anything like that in a long long... time. I am looking at the wheel and it jams straight at me ( car's rear right door ) and that is the not the end of it, she starts panicking and starts moving the car towards the truck instead of going away from it, well rahul took the wheel and pulled the car to left and parked it. We then went out to check the door - well the door was pumelled in and she had to take the car for replacing her door later on and luckily no one was hurt.

Well... this was the second time I have experienced anything like that and I don't want it to be ever forgotten and that is why I am writing it down here. Anyway the main idea of me blogging was to tell you about how I felt after this incident. Interestingly I wasn't scared or panicky but was really excited and happy. I was excited because it was something different from the mundane life and happy because I will never be able to have such a close experience and live to tell the story another day, not even if I want to have such an experience.

After that I have realized the meaning of the phrase "Live in the moment" i.e. you never know what is in store for you when you leave your home, so live your life as if there is no tomorrow :-)

I know it feels kind of cliche when you hear it but the realization behind it is something everyone has to have once in life and the sooner the better :).

9 comments:

Abhishek Sinha said...

It must have been a hell of a experience because in that split second god knows how many thoughts run through our small brain.
Yeah you are correct that we dont believe in all those cliche phrases about life but the realisation dawns only when something happens.

The Ilusionist said...

Sorry for the poor new Alto for the damages ! Glad none of you were hurt as a truck was involved in the incident. Lucky. :)

And theme being "Kal ho Na ho" ? ;)

Its true that people realize how fortunate they have been when how bad things COULD have gone compared to what just happened.

Unfortunately, that period of gratitude and vow to live to life to the fullest henceforth is short lived.

Well, the mundane life that you complain of, is something that you alone(atleast to a certain extent) have created. If living life to the fullest according to you is something more than the joy that you get by successfully executing a C-code, then you need to get out there !

A honest observation and suggestion , Amigo ! :)

Pehchaan Koun? said...

My GOD! That must have been a terrific experience! Your heart must have skipped a beat at that time. I guess truck was the "huge" thing that came your way to change your normal mundane routine and made you realise how precious this moment is :D

Unknown said...

no visions of your entire life flashing in front of your life?
no flash of an afterlife?
damn... thats kinda sad..
btw.. it is said that if any girl pops up in your head at times like these.. she's the ONE... :)
any luck there atleast?

chetan said...

i too had similar situation like this ,the greatest driver of all time desu was riding...believe me anand ,ours was much much more awful than this ,we were on bike with bus to left and lorry heading towards us from right...it was a loaded lorry and its like almost impossible tat he will get to sand side of road with 2 or 3 inch seperation...as desu tried to overtake i knew it was not possible i tried to tell him but u know it was just a split sec...when we closed towards lorry ..it was a crazy feeling and about thoughts hmmm may be it was blank mind at that time but trying to convey him the message...fortunately he took sand side thankfully we survived it was defnitely life and death as there was bus on left side ...it could have all been over before it started ...i was just 18 and it would have been defnitely 18 TILL I DIE

chetan said...

now u got the story part...i will move onto the real deal (never wasted my time for these kinda things but i just felt like writing today)....then immediately i thought like i should never sit on bike when tat *%# is riding,i have to enjoy my every sec as future is uncertain, should start to live like as if thers no tommorow everything came to mind....then few days later reality bit me and slowly i came to ground ..u cant fly all the day ,u cant be with illusion theres only one minute ahead of u ,u cant be with flavour of present second forever
i go with desu on bike, me as a pillion till this day and we recall that scene always...now its an awesome joke
now my perception towards living for moment has changed and i think it should come from within rather than an a trigger
the hot blood tells u to do for the moment and slow head tells u reality ...u want to be godfather or don after watching some DON movies but when u look at police story next second ur posh tech building is palace

so its very very good thought to live in moment but that thought shouldnt come from an action or a scenario it should come from within and u should be able to relish it ...tat will give u a lot of memories for life...keep living for every moment but make sure u enjoy it to fullest...and i hope next time u get this thought ,its not from blood filled with temperature

Anonymous said...

Hey, That was a close shave!
Glad that you all are OK.

Either she had a L-board on the car which you didn't see before stepping into it.
OR...
I think you were really distracting her! :P

Pehchaan Koun? said...

One more thing... It is much better to "Live in the moment" than "Living in future", just remembered from ur previous post. :D

Anand said...

I came across this saying in a movie which I watched today ;-) ( Kung fu panda ), anyway it fits to the post's theme. So, here goes ( for the record ) -

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift,
That is why it is called Present.